This is one of the last weeks on my free inquiry journey, so I thought I’d do one more painting in honour of that!

This week I chose to paint some flowers! The style is inspired by an artist I saw on Tiktok––she paints the colours and then draws in the details with a paint marker afterwards. I’ve linked her account here!!

For this painting, I chose purple, yellow, and a terracotta/burnt orange colour palette! I initially tried to outline the flowers/ leaves with a sharpie, however, my sharpie was a tad dull and running out of ink. I quickly switched over to a finer black pen, fortunately though you can barely tell a difference!

As I was painting this, I was also making a conscious effort to relax and participate in mindful practices. I had Charlie Brown Christmas music playing in the background and I had a video of a fireplace projected on my laptop as I painted. This cozy environment definitely helped me stay calm and relaxed as I painted. As well, after I finished my painting I felt very peaceful and calm. I was surprised by this because of all the stress I have been feeling the past few weeks––I had felt that I was missing something or that there was always something better I could be doing. These few hours I spent working on this painting gave me a chance to sit back and express creativity. I was in my own little world while working on this painting, which is such a nice escape sometimes. I definitely benefitted from this experience, both creatively and mentally.