This week I have decided to focus on holiday art (in conjunction with how to incorporate art in the classroom!) as Halloween was last week!

Holidays, especially in schools are always a good excuse to do some art projects! I know for me when I was choosing my colouring sheet last post I wanted to do something fall-themed (hence the pumpkin)! As well, my roommates and I carved pumpkins and made Halloween cookies all to help get in the Halloween spirit.

Dancing skeleton!

In my Link2Practice Wednesday visit, last Wednesday I had the opportunity to teach a Halloween-themed art lesson! It was a little last minute (I found out at lunch) so I had minimal time to prepare, but the activity was simple enough and it went super well! We made dancing skeletons out of pipe cleaner! The kids responded super well and were engaged through the whole time I was instructing. I think this goes to show how easy it can be to get your students involved in holidays!

It is important to note that as a teacher, it is crucial to acknowledge all sorts of holidays throughout the year! Exposing kids to cultures from all over the globe is a great way for kids to get a sense of where/ how they connect to their own cultures and other people’s cultures. Teaching civic responsibility and inclusivity is a great way for kids to begin to not only forge their own identities but also learn how to be diligent and empathetic citizens within our society.

A list of holidays you can incorporate art into: Ramadan, Eid al-Fitr, Halloween, Remembrance Day, Diwali, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years, Chinese New Year, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Vaisakhi, and so many more!

a collection of holiday art ideas from the hyperlinks above

When doing holiday art lessons, it is important to also give students background on the holiday and teach them what it is about, as some students may not know. As well, ensuring you are including all your students’ cultures in your planning is important. When students see themselves represented in school and in their classroom, it makes them feel seen and included. When students are not represented in their class, they may lose motivation to do their work and it may make them feel like it reflects poorly on them and their culture. It is our job as a teacher to make it as easy as possible for students to proudly project who they are.